Sunday, January 30, 2011

Behold-- Macbar.

When faced with the question of where to eat for lunch with my sister while we were shopping in SoHo today, I did not need to think twice.  Macaroni and Cheese is one of my all-time favorite meals; you can put any kind of mac-and-cheese in front of me and I will be quiet until its finished.  So, Macbar it was.  I had heard of this mac-and-cheese paradise sometime last week, and knew immediately that I had to try it.

Emeline and I showed up to Macbar at 54 Prince St. around 2pm, and the tiny store was quite busy the whole time we were there.  I was put off upon arrival because the store has only 4 small tables and is about the size of my bedroom with bright, cheese-yellow plastic walls.  We ordered two small mac-and-cheeses;  I had the Mac Lobsta' ($8.99) and Em had the Margarita Mac ($6.99).  The food took about 10 to 12 minutes to come out, but by the time it did a table had opened up so it worked out well.  

Where Macbar lacked in ambiance it made up for with deliciousness.  Emeline's mac was baked and topped with tomatoes, parmesan, mozzarella, and basil, and was perfectly creamy.  The fresh tomatoes were not only placed on top but were mixed in throughout the whole portion, and the mac had quite a nice bite to it.

Em's Margerita Mac

I wasn't sure what to expect from my choice as sometimes places skimp on the lobster or use only tiny pieces, but I was definitely not disappointed when I finally dug in.  The Mac Lobsta' had a good amount of fair sized chunks of lobster, as you can see on my fork in the picture below.  About halfway through this dish I thought my life was complete.  The macaroni and lobster were complimented by cognac, tarragon, and mascarpone and was the perfect consistency- not too cheesy but not too dry.  It was baked to a crusty golden-brown on the top and this added a nice crunch to each bite.

I want it again right nowwwwwwwww.

The medium and large sized portions came in a funny yellow, elbow macaroni shaped dish, but both Em and I agreed that the size small was more than enough for lunch.  The crowd varied from tourists to people who seemed to have been there before, and I need to give a shout out to the loud, annoying girl from Orlando, Florida who tried to snag our table before we could.  Hope you enjoyed your mac, Florida girl.  The whole restaurant loved hearing every word you said!

Final opinion:  Go to Macbar-- Not for the ambiance or company, but for the amazing mac-and-cheese.  And don't be boring; try one of their interesting combos!  You can have plain mac-and-cheese out of a box when you get home.

Macbar: 54 Prince St. at Lafayette St., (212-226-0211, http://www.macbar.net/)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...