Thursday, January 27, 2011

Union Square Greenmarket

Last Saturday I went to the farmers market in Union Square.  It was so cold outside so we did not linger long but on our pass through we stopped at the Buon Pane Bakery stand for bread.  The man working the stand jokingly said that all loaves were on sale for $2.00.  We couldn't tell if he was serious or not, but it turned out that he was not kidding!  I guess because it was so late in the day he just wanted to get rid of what he had.  Marissa settled on a loaf of french sourdough, and I went for a focaccia with onions, tomatoes, olives, and cheese.  The focaccia, which was supposedly made the day before, was only $1.00.   Now that I have eaten most of it, I can attest that it was amazing.  It was perfectly crusty but soft in the middle, even after sitting in freezing temperatures all day!  The sourdough was equally as good.  I can never get sourdough at my regular bakery on Arthur Ave, so I will definitely remember this loaf whenever I am in the Union Square area.  The only negative about Buon Pane is that the stand has no electricity, thus no bread slicer.  No big deal though.  This was the first time I have bought anything from the Greenmarket, but I would definitely recommend this bakery!


I didn't take a picture before I broke into the focaccia, but I do have one midway through my lunch slice!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...