Monday, February 21, 2011

Campanelle Pasta with Broccoli Rabe and Sausage

While I was at the food store today I was inspired to make broccoli rabe.  I recently had rabe at Dominick's on Arthur Ave. and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.  I decided to make a pasta with sausage and broccoli rabe dish, and I found a recipe that looked easy on realsimple.com.  Real Simple is great because the site has so many useful little tips not only for cooking but for most other aspects of life as well.  They have great how-to videos and also an ingredient guide that is perfect for beginners in the kitchen like myself.
The recipe called for 2 cloves of garlic, 1 pound of sausage (I used a little bit less than a pound of chicken sausage,) a bunch of broccoli rabe, 2.5 cups of chicken broth, red pepper flakes, butter, parmesan cheese, and 1 pound of pasta.  I cooked the sausage in a bit of olive oil for about 5 minutes before I added the garlic, broth, and red pepper flakes.  After a few minutes of boiling, I added the broccoli rabe and covered the pan for about 4 minutes.  Meanwhile, the pasta was already on in a big pot on the side.  
When the broccoli rabe was tender and wilted, I added the butter and cheese.  The recipe called for 4 tablespoons of butter and 1 cup of parmesan cheese, but I used a bit less of each.  I usually find that using a little less butter doesn't make much of a difference in the taste of a dish, and can be an easy way to cut some fat out of the mix!  When the sausage-rabe mixture had all come together, I tossed it in with the pasta in the big pot and mixed it well.   

The dish came out great!  I really enjoyed the broccoli rabe and sausage together.  I was worried that the rabe might be too bitter as it can be sometimes, but it was nicely complimented by the garlic and sausage flavors.  This recipe was so simple and required a very short amount of active cooking time, and I will definitely add it to my repertoire of meals that I can make again!

2 comments:

Catherine said...

This looks so easy and delicious! I'll definitely have to try it!

Elspeth said...

If you try it let me know how it comes out!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...