Wednesday, March 16, 2011

St. James Cheese Company, NOLA

OK so this week is Spring Break and from Friday, 3/11 to Tuesday 3/15 I went to visit my friend Amy down in New Orleans.  I ate my way through the city (I think trying food is a great way to get to know a culture,) and now I have lots of reviews to post!  I'm not posting them in chronological order, but whatever.  I'll jump right into it.

On Monday Amy and I decided to stop at the St. James Cheese Company for lunch before driving over to the Lower Ninth Ward area of New Orleans.  St. James reminded me so much of a place called the Cheese Society in Lincoln, England, where I have been for lunch with Charlie.  I was completely overwhelmed with the menu of sandwiches and salads, but I finally chose the Brie de Meaux and French Ham baguette over the Mac and Cheese.  Amy chose the Beecher's Cheddar, which had turkey, avocado, tomato, and thinly sliced cheddar cheese.  We also splurged on a small cheese platter to share since we are both obsessed, and decided on a stilton, a camembert, and a poacher.
Ham and Brie

We were already stuffed when we finished our sandwiches, but were able to taste all of the cheeses and bring the rest home.  The cheese plate came with a loaf of sliced french bread, fig jam, grapes, and some candied almonds, which really went well with the cheeses we chose.  I was impressed with the cheese selection, I thought for sure I would throw them with the Poacher.  The camembert, which is one of my favorite cheeses, was delicately pungent  but not overbearing, and was great with the fig spread.
Poacher on left, Stilton at top, and Camembert on right

I would definitely recommend stepping away from the cajun/creole scene and into St. James Cheese for lunch on a trip to New Orleans.  There was cute outdoor seating, and it's a great chance to break away from the French Quarter to the beautiful neighborhoods of the Garden District!

St. James Cheese Company: 5004 Prytania St., New Orleans, LA, (504) 889-4737

1 comments:

Catherine said...

Yum this looks delicious! I love cheese

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...