Monday, April 25, 2011

Burlington, VT

I spent this past weekend in Burlington, Vermont with my friends from my time in London: Dana, Liz and Jeff.  I made sure they brought me to some of their best foodie spots so I could really get a taste for the town.  

Hong's Chinese Dumplings:  On Church St., a pedestrian walkway in Burlington, a little bundled up woman has been making dumplings for 10 years.  She posts up outside Borders on warm and sunny days and always draws a crowd.  I waited on line for about 10 minutes only to get up to the front and be able to watch her meticulously rolling out the dough and filling the dumplings from scratch.  She offers a few different types; I tried the chicken and cheese and the crab and cream cheese, which was my favorite.  Everything about them was delicious.  I was a little skeptical that the crab and cream cheese would be thick and heavy, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that the filling was melted to a light consistency.  Her prices do not compare to the cheap prices of NY, but when you're the only dumpling lady in a college town you can charge whatever you want.  She offered 5 dumplings for $4.50, 6 for $5.00, and so on.  She also had other dishes like fried rice, egg rolls and noodles, but I didn't see anyone order anything besides dumplings.
Bite Me Pizza:  Bite Me is an all organic pizza spot in Burlington that uses local and fresh ingredients.  Liz had a coupon for buy any pizza and get one free cheese pizza, so we decided to get delivery for dinner one night.  After carousing the extensive menu, we decided on a bbq chicken pizza, similar to the dominos style halal bbq chicken pizzas we always used to share in London.  The pizza arrived and I was shocked to see that they were each full sized.  I thought that $21 for the bbq pie seemed steep until I saw the size and had my first bite.  The pie was topped generously with chicken, bacon, onions, peppers, scallions, cheese, bbq sauce, and colossal cloves of garlic (eek!).  Needless to say, it went down quick.  The cheese pie was also tasty, and even more so because it was free.  
Kountry Kart Deli:  I have been hearing about a sandwich called the Rise and Shiner from Marissa for as long as I've known her.  The Kountry Kart Deli, or KKD is known for this greasy egg sandwich concoction and is hugely popular with the late night crowd.  I can attest that there is nothing better after a bit of a rough night than a bacon egg and cheese on a roll (I think the grease settles the stomach somehow,) so I knew that KKD had to be a stop on my list.  We went one morning and each got a Rise and Shiner with sausage.  The sandwich has your choice of bacon, sausage or ham, egg, cheese, and a McDonald's style hash brown all piled onto a roll.  The hash brown complimented the classic sandwich well, and it was definitely a perfect pick me up in the morning after a late night at the bar.  I can understand why so many people flock to have one before they turn in on the weekends.  If you ever find yourself a few beers deep in Burlington, definitely try this sandwich.

Hong's Chinese Dumplings:  Church St. outside of Borders and Ben and Jerry's. @hongsdumplings on Twitter.

Bite Me: 457 St. Paul St., Burlington, VT (802) 540-0707

Kountry Kart Deli: 155 Main St., Burlington, VT (802) 864-4408

1 comments:

alicia j bozzone said...

looooove that dumpling lady! my friends that live up in Burlington live off of her! Church Street is the best! so jealous you got to vacation there this weekend!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...