Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Happy Hour Tapas and Cheap-ish French

Tapeo 29:  Charlie, Marissa and I went to Tapeo for their happy hour.  All of their beers-- draught and bottle-- were $3 and they had a list of $5 and $6 tapas.  We were the only ones in the place around 6:30 but by the time we left around 8 it was more crowded.  We ordered patatas bravas, pan con tomate, and chorizo al vino.   The patatas bravas (small chunks of potatoes with aioli and mayo) were satisfying but not amazing.  The pan con tomate was nice but very garlicky which is a bit of an issue for me as I'm allergic to raw garlic.  I really liked the chorizo, which was sliced thinly and served in a dark red wine sauce.  All in all we were pleased to drink and have a few bites for cheap.  I wouldn't necessarily go back to Tapeo 29 when it is full priced, but I would definitely go back for happy hour.


Sebastian:  The three of us popped in here for dinner after seeing the brasserie style menu and reasonable prices.  We were the only ones eating in there (it was a monday night) but there were a few other people sitting at the bar.  Marissa had a grilled tuna sandwich with fries, Charlie had poulet frites (fried chicken with french fries) and I had two appetizers-- french onion soup and mussles marinieres.  We were all quite surprised with the quality of food for the prices.  Everything was delicious, except Charlie didn't love the gravy his chicken was in, and I agreed that it was a little weird.  Also, we ordered $6 Kronenburgs and were only given half pints.  Besides these small points, Sebastian was enjoyable and I would go there again.  Charlie and I went to expensive and crowded Pastis in Meatpacking for my birthday, and we both agree that Sebastian is a valid replacement for brasserie environment and food


Tapeo 29: 29 Clinton St. at Stanton St. (212) 979 0002
Sebastian: 81 Ludlow St. at Broome St. (212) 677 9383

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...