Sunday, April 17, 2011

Taqueria Downtown


On Friday Charlie and I went to Jersey City to visit my cousin Larisa and her husband and son.  We went for beers at the Zeppelin Hall Biergarten which was really cool and cheap for happy hour ($4 for a pint of Leffe and $3 for some others, I think Charlie had a Spaten.)  On the way home we grabbed food to go from Taqueria Downtown, which is known for its California style Mexican food.  Larisa recommended the carnitas and fish tacos, so thats what I got.  The carnitas taco was shredded pork with onions, lettuce, a radish and a lime, and the fish had the same with a generous portion of nicely grilled fish.  It's hard to say which I liked better because they were both delicious.  Charlie said he enjoyed his carnitas torta as well.  I liked Taqueria because they claimed to be authentic-- their menu boasts that they do not serve fajitas, nachos, or huge burritos, and that the staff is not dressed in "tacky red, white, and green uniforms with a red sash around the waist."  Each taco was $2.50 or $3.00 and the tortas $6.25.  Taqueria is opening a new location down in the Lower East Side which we happened upon today when we were in the area.  Its right off E. Houston on Orchard St. and looked like quite a small space.  I look forward to seeing how it does when it opens, but if the crowd at the Jersey City location was any indicator, I think it will do just fine.

Taqueria Downtown:  236 Grove St. at Grand St., Jersey City (201) 333-3220

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...