Sunday, July 17, 2011

Wondee Siam

Wondee Siam is a Thai restaurant.  I really should have realized from the name, but for some reason I had the impression that it was Chinese or something.  I read about Wondee's delicious softshell crab with chili sauce on Blondie and Brownie, and immediately decided that I needed to try it.  I had also, however, vowed not to eat Thai food for like 3 months after my recent trip to Thailand.  The thought of it made my stomach churn.  It still does.  Yet, the allure of softshell crab was too strong for me to resist.  Emily, Tommy and I went for dinner last Friday night.  On the way there I actually found it in myself to get excited for a Chang beer, only to get there and find out that it was byob. (Wondee Siam II up the block does serve alcohol, however.)

We ordered a few apps including these Go Chai (below,) which are chive pancakes.  They were piping hot but very tasty.  They had a nice crisp-outside-yet-soft-inside dichotomy going on.
 Now for the main attraction.  Emily ordered Green Curry with Chicken and Tommy had a chicken dish that had "Two Thumbs Up!" in the name.  I went for the Softshell Crab, which was offered topped with a mango salad or with a chili sauce.  I went for the chili.
The crab was actually two perfectly crispy crabs served with mushrooms and bell peppers.  The chili sauce was very hot but deliciously sweet.  I was so full but could have eaten more and more and more.  The dish was $17.95 which was double the price of Emily and Tommy's entrees but definitely worth it for seafood.  If you're going to check this out, go soon because soft shell crab season does not last forever!


Wondee Siam: 9th Ave. between 52nd and 53rd sts. See site for other locations.  (212) 459-9057

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...