Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Sunday Roast is a Great Tradition

Those of you who know me will believe when I say that I am dating Charlie for his Sunday roast. (Just kidding... Or am I?)  I'm in London now and last Sunday we made roast leg of lamb with roasted cauliflower, potatoes au gratin and broad beans.  I was allowed responsibility for the potatoes and the cauliflower, and I should say that I make an excellent sous-chef.  I had nothing to do with the lamb so don't ask me about it.  I will say that broad beans are a pain in the ass.  They need to be released from their pods and then each bean pealed individually.  This is a very demanding procedure for such small but numerous beans, but they did make a very nice green addition to the dish.
I highly recommend the roasted cauliflower.  Little effort is involved; simply break the head into small florets and arrange on a baking sheet.  Drizzle generously with olive oil, salt and pepper, and pop into the oven for about 30 minutes until golden brown.  Check once or twice and turn the florets over to cook evenly.  The cauliflower comes out sweet and soft.  This method is a great twist on a somewhat boring vegetable.

Roast something this Sunday and tell me all about it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...