Saturday, January 21, 2012

OMG Steak 'n Shake

Yesterday Kristen and I braved the cold at lunch time and checked out the newcomer to the NYC burger scene, Steak 'n Shake.  The Midwest inspiration for Danny Meyer's Shake Shack has been the subject of much buzz since its opening last week and we hoped we waited long enough to miss the rumored long outdoor and indoor lines.  We didn't, and we had to wait outside for about 20 minutes before being invited to enter by a doorman clad in black.  We ordered together to save time; Kristen went with the Original Double 'n Cheese and I with the Guacamole Steakburger.  Both came with fries for $5 or under, and we shared a classic vanilla shake.
Maybe ten minutes later our food was ready and we snagged one of the four small tables.  My guac burger was picture perfect in its packaging and delicious at first bite.  Chipotle sauce and pepperjack cheese gave it a nice spice and the tomato, lettuce and onion tasted fresh.  The guac was plentiful but a bit cold; I wish it was at least at room temperature to avoid cooling down the burger.  The burger itself was juicy and well seasoned if not a little too salty.  The patty was made from quality beef and lacked the grease content of Shake Shack or Five Guys.  The sandwich could have been hotter but this is a small kink that will hopefully be worked out when business dies down a bit.
The fries were very thin and salty but cooked well -- also could have been hotter.  The shake was tasty but it was not as smooth as those from Shake Shack and although I am not a regular shake consumer, I would order one at Shake Shack again before Steak 'n Shake.  Overall this was a good experience and I kind of forgot that while it is exotic to us in NY, Steak 'n Shake is just another fast food joint for most of the rest of the U.S.  It is a much cheaper option than Shake Shack and it is closer to my office, so I'm sure I will return to try another of their interesting burger concoctions like the Frisco Melt or the Western BBQ 'n Bacon.

In other news, yesterday, Jan 20th, was my one year blog birthday!  In looking back at all I've eaten and written in the last year I kind of want to vom, but I am proud that I have stuck with this for so long and continue to hear compliments from friends and family.  Thanks for reading!

Steak 'n Shake: 1695 Broadway between 53rd and 54th. (212) 247-6584

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...