Monday, February 27, 2012

Lamb Rogan Josh

Ed is away, so Denise and I wanted to take advantage of this opportunity and eat something he doesn't like: lamb.  We settled on a Parsi curry, lamb dhansak with lentils and pumpkin, but at the foodstore we were hit hard by the $15 price tag for a bottle of cardamom.  Seriously, who pays that? I'm gonna use one teaspoon and the rest is gonna chill in my cabinet for like 10 years.  We decided instead on lamb rogan josh which takes only ingredients that I already had at home.
I tweeked a recipe from one of my curry cookbooks.  I started with 3 cloves of garlic and a thumb of ginger diced up in a pan with vegetable oil and a pat of butter.  After 1-2 minutes I added about 6 deseeded canned tomatoes and an onion that I had pureed in a food processor, 2 bay leaves, 1 teaspoon each of tumeric and chile powder, 1 tablespoon of ground coriander and 2 tablespoons of tomato paste.  I let this combo cook up for about 8 minutes before adding about 1.5 cups of plain yogurt, about 1 pound of cubed lamb shoulder and 1 teaspoon of salt.
This cooked covered on low heat for 45 minutes.  I then sprinkled 1 teaspoon of garam masala in and simmered for another 15 minutes until the lamb was tender.  This dish would have gone nicely with basmati rice or naan but we just ate it with a crusty baguette.  
I was really happy with how this dish came out.  I was a little surprised that it had no kick to it at all and maybe next time I would add more chile powder or a fresh chile.  I was nervous that I added too much yogurt but in the end the yogurt cooked down and all of the flavors came together really well.  The lamb was a bit pricey but totally worth it for a once-in-a-while splurge.  I still have two chops left to make this with!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...