Friday, April 27, 2012

Easter Apps

Charlie and I took over appetizer responsibility for Easter at my house. We chose to make traditional English sausage rolls and a onion and bacon tart that I saw in the NY Times.
For the sausage rolls, we had to search high and low to find a sage-y English type sausage. An overwhelming amount of sausage here in NY is Italian, but we finally found a long, coiled, thick link of breakfast sausage at one of the local food stores. We also found "Irish Bangers" at Wholefoods, but they lacked the spice that Lincolnshire sausages boast. We removed the sausage meat from the casing and rolled small bits into puff pastry. Be sure to poke some holes in the top to let steam out as they cook in the oven. I think they took like 30 minutes to turn golden brown. The pastry was puffier than the Brits are used to, but luckily Charlie was the only Brit around.
The Times recently ran a recipe for a pizza-like tart that could be made with onions, bacon and ricotta, or onions, olives and goat cheese. Duh bacon. We stretched (with difficulty) a pre-made pizza dough onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. I cut the thick bacon strips into lardons and cooked them until just underdone on the stove. In the same pan I sauteed the onions in the remaining bacon fat until almost caramelized. I spread ricotta and creme fraiche onto the dough and then topped with the onions, bacon and caraway seeds. This went into the oven for about 30 minutes as well until golden brown and fragrant.

Speaking of sausage, I wrote a guest post for a wonderful sausage blog based in the UK, Rate My Sausage. Besides loving the witty name, I admire Simon's passion and knowledge for the delicious art that is sausage. Check out his blog, and my post, here: http://bangersandsausages.blogspot.com/2012/04/guest-review-elspeth-velten-whole-foods.html 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...