Monday, May 7, 2012

Enchilada Casserole

Sometimes I get so tired of bringing sandwiches to work for lunch every day of my life. I was hit by inspiration for an enchiladas casserole at the food store last Sunday when I saw tomatillos in the produce department, so I threw together a verdes/suizas combo casserole to last me through the week. It's easier to pack lasagna-sized pieces than actual enchiladas for lunch. Living in the state of Nueva York means that there is always an abundance of Hispanic ingredients available, which makes me happy.
I started by throwing a chicken into a pot of water to boil for about an hour. When the chicken is done you have to wait a bit before pulling the meat off the carcass because that shit is hotttttttttttt. Save the chicken stock though because it will be used later!

To make the green salsa I roasted about a pound of peeled and washed tomatillos, two serrano chiles and 3 cloves of garlic. I then threw the roasted veggies into a processor with cilantro and a white onion. I cooked the combo up for a bit and then added some crema and about 1 to 2 cups of the chicken stock. 
I covered the bottom of a rectangular glass casserole with green salsa, and then layered corn tortillas on top. I added chicken, monterey jack cheese, and more green salsa. I think I did two layers and then covered the top with tortillas, cheese and salsa. This went into the oven for maybe 20-30 minutes to heat through and melt. To bring to work, I topped each portion with crumbled queso fresco. I think next time I would make more green salsa because although the casserole was not super dry, I think it could have used a bit more flavor. It did last me through the week even though I know others in the house (Denise) were picking on it too.

It's safe to say that now, after 4 days of enchilada lunch, I'm sick of enchiladas.

P.S. I've been practicing my Spanish with cab drivers while drunk because I'm going to Panama for three weeks at the end of the month. Look out for beaches and ceviche, coming soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...