Thursday, November 22, 2012

I'm Thankful for Pear and Almond Tart

...and a lot of other things! I recently had a really delicious plum and almond tart served with cold creme fraiche at the Charles Lamb, my favorite pub to eat at in the Islington area of London. Almond is kind of an obsession of mine right now, and if you ask me what I want to drink at the bar I'm likely to make you order me a Disaronno on the rocks. In all seriousness. So, I told Denise that I would be making a plum and almond tart for Thanksgiving. Of course, it's not plum season.

I made a pear and almond tart instead. To do so, I combined elements from three recipes to get exactly want I wanted: a moist almond filling, fresh crust that didn't need to be chilled for 24 hours before using and pears poached and sliced to look fancy-shmancy.
Not many ingredients went into this. You probably already have almost everything you need in the cabinet over the stove, except for almond paste and pears. The crust was simply flour, sugar, butter, ice water and an egg yolk, and the filling was just almond paste, egg, flour, sugar and rum. The pears softened after 20 minutes in simmering sugar water on the stove. I was kind of nervous about cooking times since I used different recipes for the filling and crust, but it all worked out. 

To serve, just slice down the middle of the pear section and the middle of the almond section, so each slice has a little of both components. Terrific. 

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUMMMMY!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...