Sunday, December 2, 2012

Burnt Ends and Danger at the John Brown Smokehouse

A few weeks ago after a shoot in Long Island City, a few of my colleagues and I decided to check out the lauded John Brown Smokehouse just around the corner from that day's loft location. Reviewers rave about the burnt ends (the fatty and charred tip of a brisket) so I went with that. It comes with a side for $11. I chose mac and cheese, but also nibbled on others' collard greens and cornbread. Add a huge Weiheinstephan Hefe Weiss and I'm good to go. 


You order and pay for your food in the front of the store and then sit and wait for it at a red-checked table in the back. Beer comes from the separate bar on the back wall. It didn't take long for the food to show up, and when it did, my life as a healthy person ended and my life as a happy one began. The burnt ends were so tender and moist. The contrast between the outer char and the inner meat was executed perfectly. Mac and cheese was made with canneloni -- tubes without ridges -- and had pieces of crusted cheese. So great. The winner of the sides, however, was the cornbread. It was more like a cornbread pudding. So moist. Def need to eat that with a fork.  I know white bread is a traditional bbq accompaniment, but it was unnecessary here. (the joint claims to be Kansas City style but I know nothing about that.)

SO FULL at the end. I got up to go to the bathroom and bam, ate shit on a carpet on a slippery floor near the entrance to the kitchen. That's lawsuit central. Seriously. There was no one but us in the place, but the staff saw the whole thing. I got up like a trooper, and walked out with a free doggy-bag-duplicate of the meal I just finished. And also some pain. How old am I? 70? I can't.

John Brown Smokehouse: 10-43 44th Drive, Long Island City, NY 11101. (347) 617-1120
John Brown Smokehouse on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...