Thursday, March 7, 2013

Cool Ranch Doritos Locos Tacos: YES

HAD to go get the new Cool Ranch taco at Taco Bell today, obvi. I've been anticipating this moment ever since the original Doritos Locos Taco came out at TBell a year ago and I hated it. I just knew in my heart that this one would be better for sooooooo many reasons!

The main reason it's better is that there is not a huge collision of cheese flavors occurring. In the original Nacho Cheese flavor taco you have nacho cheese dust fighting against shredded cheddar for cheesy dominance. Here, you don't. You just have shredded cheddar in harmony with cool coooool ranch. I mean, ranch goes well on everything. PLUS: this taco is only a reasonable 170 calories. I'm having a moment where I care about that right now, but ask me next week and I'll probably laugh.

My normal taco bell routine does not involve hard tacos, however. It involves soft tacos, Steak Quesadillas, Cheesy Gordita Crunches and Nacho Cheese Chalupas (RIP, one love). I knew that even if I loved the Cool Ranch newcomer, I would not be likely to order it again. Thus, I also ordered a Cheesy Gordita Crunch made with a cool ranch taco instead of the plain old hard taco they usually put in there. Gotta see how flexible this newb really is.
Look hard at those green and red flecks on the crunchy rim. What are they? What are they supposed to represent? I imagine they stand for red and green peppers adding Mexican flair to your typical ranch sauce. Really they're probably something like disodium inosinate or sodium caseinate (actual ingredients.) Not sure if the TBell chefs always put two hards inside the gordita shell in this concoction, or if this was just my lucky night. 

Anyway, if you want this substitute in the CGC it's a $.30 upcharge. That's chump change. While it was more difficult to separate the delicate ranch flavor here from the pepper jack sauce and three cheese blend, I say, go for it. It adds another layer of depth to this carefully arranged flavor profile. And it's only freakin' 30 cents. 

I'm moving to Australia and the lack of Taco Bell in that region of the world is a top concerning issue for me right now, along with North Korean nuclear war and Justin Bieber's downward spiral into irrelevance. (Really I hate him.) I don't remember ever going a full year without eating Taco Bell since I first ate Taco Bell in my single digit age years. I'm sure I can survive this challenge, but I don't want to have to! Come with me, TBell.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...