Thursday, March 14, 2013

My Love Affair with MoMA's Cafe 2

My relationship with Cafe 2 hurts, as any affair would, because there are so many difficult obstacles that need to be navigated before the love can commence.

I need to have a company badge that gets me in the door for free, which I will soon no longer have. I need to weave my way through hoards of wandering tourists -- always annoying. I have to wait on line and watch museum members waltz up and cut me repetitively, doubling my time in limbo. But, ahh, when I am finally seated and the polenta arrives, all is well in the world for about 15 minutes. 

The warm, creamy polenta oozes opulence from under a drizzle of arugula pesto and a sheet of thin fontina. Walnuts and baby sprouts add texture to the spoon. Even such a huge portion could never last long enough but it leaves me fulfilled until next time I can steal a moment with the cafe. A single espresso fuels the tryst.
Afterwards, look at the art. Now there's an Edward Munch exhibit. Soak in the unfathomable horror before returning to your desk for the afternoon with a refreshed brain and a happy stomach.

Cafe 2 at the MoMA: 11 W. 53rd St between 5th and 6th, (212) 333-1299

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...