Sunday, April 21, 2013

Wonton Noodle Soup at Tsim Chai Kee

OK. I'm finally writing about Hong Kong. When we got there, I hadn't done too too much research on the exact places I wanted to eat. I knew we had to get dim sum, seafood and wonton noodle soup, but I did not know where to go for each. Sitting on the bed in our little Yau Ma Tei room (acquired through airbnb.com,) I had my first Eastern Hemisphere meltdown. There are just too many choices of where to eat in Hong Kong. Every website has different suggestions, and when I would finally settle on one place, I'd find another site shit-talking it. I was overwhelmed and terrified of wasting my money -- Hong Kong ain't cheap, yo.

The answer is that almost everywhere in Hong Kong is good; it's almost impossible to pick a best of everything. Of course there are some clear standouts, but during my four days there I never ate anything that was not worth the money. For best wonton noodle soup, the most public feud is between Tsim Chai Kee and Mak's, across the street from each other on Wellington St. We chose Tsim Chai Kee as it's known to have larger portions. (duh.) And their soup was amazing. The king prawn wontons were the best I've ever had. With a small bite the thin skins popped into morsels of moist, tender and flavorful shrimp. Seriously awesome. They were laid like birds eggs on a nest of egg noodles -- thin and wiry, perfectly al dente through the whole bowl. I've never had anything like it. Then, the broth, perfectly balanced between salty and sweet... and the beef... basically, I'd eat this bowl every day of my life. 

AND, the bowl was only like, USD $4. I walked out kind of in awe. In NY, this would never occur. Besides some back street Chinatown spot that I've probably never heard of, noodles ain't $4 in New York. I didn't have Mak's, but I'd definitely say go to Tsim Chai Kee. When you rock up, remember that restaurant customs are a little different in HK than we're used to. You can def. run into some grumpy Asians. (They've been dealing with dumb tourists all day!) Walk up with confidence and choose your own table. Wave someone over to order and pay in the front on your way out. And don't linger! They hate that. Our meals besides dim sum lasted like 20 minutes at the most. In and out, people. 

Tsim Chai Kee: 98 Wellington St., Central, Hong Kong

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...